You Will Invest In User-Generated Content
- 90% of purchasing decisions are led by user-generated content.
- The most liked image on Instagram is of an egg.
In February 2019, a new Instagram star was born. The world record egg. In a matter of days, that one picture gained over 53.7M likes, cracking the record of 18 million previously held by Kylie Jenner.
But it also marked a turning point. When the cult of celebrity influencers faded, to be replaced by content that was created by regular people. User-generated content now generates 6.9 times the engagement than brand created content.
It’s authentic, cultivated, easily shared, cost effective, and created outside of the brand sphere. Brands to build a sense of community within their consumer base. Millennials don’t just buy into a product, but the experience it provides. Starbucks doesn’t just sell coffee, but a lifestyle. Create a community that your audience loves, and it will bring results. 80% of brands say that their community building efforts have resulted in increased traffic.
What does this mean for marketers?
Now is the time to start building that community. Though it can’t be built in a day, the sooner you get started, the better.
- Build a community. LinkedIn or Facebook groups are an ideal place to start, with the infrastructure in place to easily nurture an audience, with effective admin tools at hand.
- Incentivise. Though the opportunity to create may be incentive enough for some people, anything extra you can add to sweeten the deal could make all the difference. Product discounts, prizes and special events are minimal cost for what is discounted content.
- Make it shareable. Make it easy for your customers to share. In this visual world, consumers want items that will make great visuals. If your brand products look good, people will be more willing to use them in UGC.
- Plan a content strategy. There’s no point in getting extra content from your users if you don’t use it effectively. Share it on your channels, to bring the best content to the forefront of your audience. User-generated content is going to be big in 2020. Make it one of the most valuable investments (and also one of the most affordable) for your marketing strategy next year.
What makes user-generated content so effective?
Unfortunately for us, marketers and advertisers are inherently untrustworthy. We’re tasked with positioning products and services in their best light, and in the process, we omit details that may negatively impact consumer buying decisions (and sometimes we take it a little too far). Therefore, user-generated content is a great way to gain consumers' trust.
Ready to hop on the UGC wagon? Drop us a message below!