There are lots and lots of things to think about but in 2020 these are my top 10 things to think about and work on:
- Focused content - random blog posts and content on social media will only take you so far. But structured and planned content can lead to much better traffic from Google, much more engagement in social media and as a result many more sales.
- Quality over everything - don't get involved in more than you can chew. So often businesses jump onto the latest trend and gain nothing out of it apart from some resource costs and an advertising bill. Put a plan and strategy in place and work to it. I am not saying ignore opportunities but make sure they are aligned to your goals.
- Review your brand - a messy brand leads to distrust, confusion and many missed opportunities. Don't let the basics slip away, review your brand, what it stands for and its consistency across all your assets.
- Communication at the right time, with the right information - leave those monthly send to all emails behind and get with modern marketing. People do not want generic emails or content displayed to them, they want relevant content when they need it. Utilise automated marketing platforms like Hubspot. The impact will be huge.
- Video - don't let the idea of video costing the earth put you off. Quick videos for social media or even elaborate promotional videos are all worth looking at, and can be more cost effective than you think. You probably already have a video camera on your phone and some clever short videos can work wonders on social media.
- Align Sales and Marketing - there should be a synergy between the two departments, not a disconnect. Make sure sales are selling what marketing promise and that marketing are feeding leads into the sales process with the right expectations. This will impact your conversion rates highly, even if you think this is 100% perfect I would still recommend an audit.
- Web design - your website is generally your central marketing asset, it shows the world what you are about. So review your website and engage with your website design company to help you improve it to be more inline with your marketing goals.
- Conversion tracking - spend more time tracking users and seeing what issues they are hitting. Minor things can costs monthly sales. Get tracking and drill the data.
- Build your community - keep your customers close and make sure they feel important. The online environment will only ever get more competitive so make sure you keep your customer retention as high as possible.
- Track progress - make sure you set goals for the year and track progress against them each month. The only way to achieve high success is with setting goals and tracking progress.
Good luck for 2020.